Finally, a few days ago, I reasoned with myself and decided that things need to change. I've been too strict about little things: touching the TV screen, standing on the couch, running through the house, talking or giggling too loudly, etc; Honestly, those are things a child should be doing - otherwise they wouldn't be a child. I decided to just stop caring about those things. Sure, my house might be messier, and my kids dirtier...but who cares as long as everyone is happier. And when they ARE doing something they really shouldn't be, instead of spanking or yelling at the girls, I decided to try giving them a simple hug and tell them that what they were doing was wrong and that they need to do the right thing so they can be happy.
I put my plan into action, and let me tell you, my house has been a much happier place. The girls and I are enjoying each other's company a lot more, and the happy, safe feeling has returned to our home. I want to be thought of as a nice, loving mom; not a strict and non-understanding one.
There once was a commonly seen bumper sticker that asked the question, “Have you hugged your child today?”
President Hinckley once said "How fortunate, how blessed is the child who feels the affection of his or her parents. That warmth, that love will bear sweet fruit in the years that follow. In large measure, the harshness that characterizes so much of our society is an outgrowth of harshness imposed on children years ago."
5 comments:
so true. so true.
You are so Right! It's funny because me and my friend were just talking about this same subject. We don't want our kids growing up and remembering our "angry voice". So we both made a pledge to work on not using our "angry voices" so much. Thanks for the reminder I'll try to replace my next angry voice with a HUG!
I love your blog! You have a lot of good info., talking with other mothers helps me and makes me want to be a better mother/wife to my family. So Thank You!
Well said! Its hard to be patient that is one thing i re learn everyday. If we have to let go of a few things so that everyone is happier than its worth doing. I think your a great mom! It was fun to see Jamison yesterday he is so cute!
P.s. I dont think i've ever seen your kids dirty! :)
I agree.. In fact i was just thinking about that on the way home cause brinley had a melt down at the mall. I remembered that singing this stupid little song usually turns her mood around and then i dont yell. I just think as moms we sometimes need a reminder of what works cause we get caught up in our busy days and forget.
I really like the hug idea cause you can correct them when they are doing wrong but they feel safe when your doing it!!!
Post a Comment