Monday, April 12, 2010

Yikes!

Thursday was a normal day. I ate the same food I eat every day. I did the dishes, the laundry, made dinner....just like always. But around 10pm, my wrist started itching. Within an hour, huge bright red {{ITCHY}} splotches appeared all over my hands, legs and torso. My hands and feet were swollen to twice their size. I took some benadryl, to no avail. I was ready to crawl out of my skin. Friday, it was even worse. I couldn't walk without horrible pain on the soles of my feet. I couldn't grasp anything with my puffy fingers. I couldn't even pick the baby up to feed him. My mom came up to help with the kids, which was a major life-saver! Spencer came over late Friday night to help Trev give me a priesthood blessing. Saturday morning, the hives had spread to my entire body. Under my hair on my scalp, the crept down to my forehead, then my nose, and finally to my lips swelling them to 3 times their normal size. I was weak and hot with fever too, and the swelling was starting to constrict my breathing. Scary. Trev got me to the ER as soon as he could. They shot me up with some high doses of steroids and more benadryl, and the hives and swelling were gone by Saturday afternoon. I was able to make dinner, and even do a little laundry. My mom left on Sunday morning.


BUT THEN....

Good morning, Monday!



Oh, the itching!


The pain!


The hospital!

Geez! They have no idea what could be causing this. It could be anything from a newly developed food allergy, to toxic mold growing in our house (which wouldn't surprise me, to be honest.)

Wonderful.

The gave me a shot of Epinephrine, which made the hives go down again, but they're confused as to how the hives keep coming back when I'm already on steroids and antihistamines.

So, they gave me a new little friend to carry with me everywhere I go.




My hope is that I'll never have to use it. But we'll see. As for right now, all I can say about the situation is
I. HATE. HIVES!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

oh my gosh! YIKES is righT! I hope you feel better and never get those again!

Anonymous said...

That looks terrible. I hope you never have to use the epi pen.

Steph said...

Wow that looks very painful! I'm sorry I hope they can figure out what it was. Sal actually got hives last weekend too but nothing like yours!! Get feeling better!